Monday 23 February 2015

Day 9 - Overflowing!

The word that comes to me is 'LACK'. How many of us have felt that what we have isn't enough. We haven't enough time, we don't have enough money, we aren't clever enough or talented enough and hey...we're just not popular at all! We're not thin enough or funny or beautiful or maybe, for a man it's not enough muscles or sporting prowess. There's always something. Our society idolises the rich and famous and most of us are pretty average to say the least! As the youngest child of four, when out hill walking with the family I was always last, and just as I caught up with everybody (who'd all been having a nice rest and enjoying the beautiful scenery), they would start walking again..... no rest for me! Sometimes we just can't keep up.

The next word that comes to me in my time of waiting on God, is 'LOSS'. I find myself beginning to weep for the sadness of loss in the hearts of my fellow human beings. Lost opportunities, lost friendships, lost childhood or lost reputation. 'If only....' 

Being a Christian is so amazing.... because Jesus is so amazing! After the moments of sadness, suddenly I am filled with joy. Not just a peaceful feeling, but a silliness that wants to jump in the air and shout out of the window at random strangers, rather like Scrooge after he changes his attitude in 'A Christmas Carol'. Jesus said He wanted us not just to have life, but MORE ABUNDANT LIFE! It's all about generosity. The best man (or equivalent) was amazed at the quality of the wine Jesus provided, the nets were beginning to break with the abundance of fish caught after Jesus intervened and there were baskets and baskets of food left over after Jesus fed everyone. This is so hilarious.... when so many people are holding on tightly to what they have in this 'time of austerity', the Lord calls us to trust Him and be generous....with abandon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment