Thursday 19 February 2015

Day 5 - In Love

"Hello Lord, I'm here. It's good to be here with you again." I'm sitting on my rug, and I'm about to say, "I love being here with you," but instead I say, "I'm in love with you!" I wasn't expecting that. It's not something I say to God every day. I start thinking about love and what it means to be in love. 

Children fall in love easily....with their mum and dad, their friends, a caterpillar or the latest toy, because children are passionate people and are not afraid to love passionately. And they can fall out of love just as passionately! But we, as adults, have learned to keep our distance... and our dignity.

I think about how I felt when I fell in love with my husband. Firstly I had to open the door to see my friend in a different light, but when that love was returned I found myself smitten with this feeling of being 'in love' which seemed to be all consuming and I was so happy. Marriages built on such feelings without the commitment to keep loving through the difficult times find that they have no real foundation and may not last for long. However, a marriage without the spark of love is lacking the very breath of life. 

But how can we love a God we can't see or feel or hug? I suppose we see Him in others, but also, when we realise that we're not just physical bodies but living spirits and we need all our spiritual senses awakening. God is like us...we know this because we're made in His image....so if we're like Him then He's like us! And we're made PASSIONATE :) 

Being in love is just being passionate about life, and with the passion comes the hurt, because our beautiful world is hurting, but I reckon it's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. You write so beautifully Shirley. I always want to read on, softly passionate I would say. I have a friend who's a journalist and you remind me of her very intimate accessible style. I'll see if I can friend you both up on FB!

    ReplyDelete