Sunday 22 February 2015

Day 8 - Joy

Hi everyone! Well, I've successfully completed one week of my 50 day challenge so far. How have I been? Well.... not once, but twice in this week I have dreamed, yes dreamed, that I was watching T.V. dramas.... how pathetic is that? It's not like I normally watch a huge amount of television - not normally more than about four hours a week, but...... am I having withdrawal symptoms or something? My experience of spending an hour each day waiting on the Lord has been easier than I thought. It has actually flown by and there's been a tremendous sense of peace and how wonderful it is to not feel I've got to be doing things all the time. Here's today's offering:

Well, I'm here, and God is here and I sense His peace in the room. But I am empty and for a long time no particular thoughts take root. My mind flits here and there and I wonder if God will bring anything to light today. Then a song floats into my mind.... it often seems to start with a song! It's by Nick and Anita Haigh, and here are some of the words: 

Empty, broken, here I stand - Kyrie Eleison
Touch me with your healing hand - kyrie Eleison
Take my arrogance and pride - Kyrie Eleison
Wash me in your mercy's tide - Kyrie Eleison
Kyrie Eleison, Christe Eleison, Kyrie Eleison.


One thing I like about this song is that although it deals with weighty issues the tune seems so full of joy.
The strange words are Greek and they mean Lord, have mercy, Christ, have mercy, Lord, have mercy.

I look up a few verses in the Bible where it appears.... quite a few times in the psalms, and in the gospels when blind men ask Jesus to have mercy on them. Jesus is so ready to reach out to hurting people and He shows us the heart of the Father. I feel God's sadness over the injustice to the poor, the weak and the oppressed, and I ask Him to have mercy on us. But then there's the tune of the song which dances along though the sadness and I am assured, once again, that it's not the end of the story yet. The joy we feel comes from a God who dwells in eternity and knows the end from the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment