Saturday 21 February 2015

Day 7 - Faith

Waiting in the stillness, I think about the snowdrop I stopped to admire this morning: so delicate, so pure, so lovely. And yet it must be so strong to endure the harshness of the winter weather. We actually had a hailstorm today...just when I was beginning to think Spring was on the way! So here I am, singing again another old hymn, 'Praise, my soul, The King of Heaven', and I'm thinking about faith.

After two world wars our country was shattered by the depth of evil it endured, and it waltzed headlong into the happy-go-lucky 50's and 60's, trying to forget the terrors. "How could it possibly be true that there's a God up there who cares about humanity when so much evil shook the world?" Our collective faith began to dwindle. And people who go through trauma and great sadness sometimes feel the same way, throw out their faith and live for today.  
But surely this is what Easter is all about. He cared enough to share in our humanness and pain. it's not the end of the story yet! And we simply cannot blame God for the mistakes of humanity....let's brave the winter and hold on to our faith.
Here's a poem I wrote today in my time in God's presence:

I am reality when all that has seemed so real pales into shadow,
I am rock when all that has seemed so solid is now weak and hollow.
I am a hand to hold and guide you when tears blur your sight,
I am here right beside you during the long hours of the night.
And faith is believing, in the darkness, what you have seen in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment