Tuesday 31 March 2015

Day 45 - Catching Fire.

Today as I wait here, my attention is caught by the beautiful framed picture on the wall. It is a painting of some of the mountains in the Lake District, enshrouded by mist; what an atmospheric scene. Today was a little stormy, to say the least. Although we managed a walk around the tarn during a dry spell, we decided not to attempt any uphill climbs. Later, having had a lovely time in one of the many tea shops, we drove up a little pass through the hills, stopping at the top to look at the view. My son and I walked a little way up the hill in the blustery wind. I suddenly found something stirring inside me, a sort of deep yearning. I realised how much I had been missing the mountains! 

I think I have inherited two main loves from my Dad: a passion for music and a love of the great outdoors, and in particular, mountains. Most of our holidays, when I was a child, were spent in Scotland, and I have many happy memories of walking in the hills. There is something so wonderful about the wildness, the feeling of being on top of the world, and the sense of achievement at having conquered the mountain.

bonfire.jpg (450×350)
I know that the thing which caught my heart at that young age was not actually the act of walking up the mountain, but the awesome sense of the presence of God. It's so strong it's almost tangible.....you can almost taste it! I know that I caught this love from my Dad, and a phrase comes to mind: some things are best caught, not taught! I take no credit for the phrase, because I heard it somewhere, but it is so true. We learn so much in school that is forgotten so quickly, but it's the love of something that we catch from certain teachers that stays with us. In particular I remember an English teacher at school and a music teacher at college who really inspired me.


So we need to catch a love for God. Jesus spent much of His time inspiring twelve men, and some women also, with a passion for knowing Him better. When the fire is stirred in you it will never leave. So catch the fire! And some of us need to stir up the flames which were once so full but are now nearly out. My inner mountaineer was re-invigorated today by simply being there...... get yourself where the presence of God is and start to get hot again!   

No comments:

Post a Comment