Sunday 8 March 2015

Day 22 - Coming Out

Here is a photo of my lovely daffs I received as an early mother's day present - they're just coming out.

The ones which are still in bud have all the potential to become beautiful flowers but they haven't yet revealed themselves to the world in their full glory.
In recent years there's been quite a lot of publicity over certain celebrities who have 'come out' as being gay, and many others have followed suit. It's all about being brave enough to let the world see you as you truly are and not feel you have to pretend you're someone that you are not.

Jesus spent many years out of the limelight, probably following the family trade, learning to be a carpenter. I wouldn't say there was any pretence in his life, but he didn't reveal his true identity. But a day came when the time was right for him to 'come out' and let people see the real Jesus. Miracles followed, healings in the hundreds, teaching so amazing that folk traipsed around the countryside after him, and at least three people were brought back to life from being dead! Suddenly he was famous. The authorities were so worried they sent people to ask awkward questions to try and catch him out and make him incriminate himself. I've just read the account of him riding into Jerusalem on a donkey with so many people hailing him as a king - it's the day in the church's calendar we call Palm Sunday, because they all threw their coats and lots of palm branches down for him to walk on. Sure the authorities wanted him dead... they were worried about retribution from Rome. This period in Jesus' life is called his 'public ministry' for this reason: it was public!

When I began my journey of waiting on God and recording my thoughts in this blog for others to read, I realised that it would be very public and potentially anyone in the world would be able to read it! It is quite a scary thought! But this is me.... I am coming out as a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ. I believe he was, and is, more than a great teacher. I believe He is the Christ, the one foretold who would come into the world to save people from their sins (helpless selfishness and wickedness) through his death on the cross, that he didn't stay dead but is now alive in heaven with God the Father and I believe He is actually the presence of God in human form.....He is Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment