Wednesday 18 March 2015

Day 32 - Called

When I was a young Catholic we used to talk about our 'vocation'. This meant the direction in life we would go as called by Almighty God. For some this would mean the 'religious' life, for others marriage and family, for others it would specifically refer to their job - doctor, teacher, nurse, missionary, hairdresser, etc. When my sister asked me, as a ten or eleven year old, what I wanted to be when I grew up, I had two things in mind: a violinist or a nun. The former won the toss.... although.... there was a calling from God there to come to Jesus and live my life for Him, and I have never looked back after doing so at the age of nineteen.




These days it seems that the main driving force behind our children's life choices is to do with self. They are asked questions such as these: what are their strengths; what sort of lifestyle do they prefer; and what will make the most money? Sadly, many make no reference to God in their life choices, nor do they even consider whether they can do some good in the world. 

A calling can also be to do with lifestyle as well as career. Some people have given themselves to fostering children, housing asylum seekers, simply bringing up their family as best they can, being generous with their money or using their home to show hospitality to friends and family. I have seen my gift as a musician as also a calling from God. I believe music has a power to draw people into a closer relationship with God as it demonstrates so much of his glorious creation and the beauty of His nature. 
Sometimes, though, I have looked at others who work in the caring professions, or who work oversees helping the poor, and I have wondered about the choice I have made. "Would it not have been more worthy to do something more practical to help the world?" I have asked myself. But I don't think it is right to compare ourselves with others.

In the end it comes down to calling. What have I done with what God has given me? And new callings can come at any moment in our lives; they are not solely for the young. maybe God is calling you to something new? Why not ask Him now?

No comments:

Post a Comment