Saturday 21 March 2015

Day 35 - What a Creator!

As everyone is out this evening, I decide to have my time with God in the bath. I feel so relaxed, lying here surrounded by the soothing warm water. It's so quiet, but when I put my head under the water I can hear my own heart beating. I think about the little baby in the womb I saw recently in an internet video, filmed in an ultra sound examination. The little thing was pushing itself off the walls of the womb with its little feet and seemed to be playing and having fun. Life is wonderful. This gets me thinking about when it begins. 




People think that a baby is not really a person until it is fully formed, that it is simply a collection of growing cells. So.... there must be a point at which the 'thing' becomes human. In the Bible it says in the book of Genesis that God 'breathed the breath of life' into Adam, and he became a living being. There may be some people who think you're not really alive until you are breathing. When I was a child, I was not fully formed. My thought processes were not mature and my body was smaller, but all the way through I was 'me', sure enough, and even though I cannot remember much of my early years, I know I was human. My belief is that our humanity begins the moment sperm penetrates egg and an explosion of life takes place: not fully formed but 100% human. 

Here's my second thought.... Are you a 'creationist' or an 'evolutionist'? When did humanity begin? I don't know for certain whether Moses wrote the book of Genesis, but I do know that he wasn't around when God created the earth, and yet I believe that he was inspired by God to write the story. Yes...I use the word 'created' because I believe in a creator God, through whom all things came to be. And I believe totally in the Bible and have come to rely completely on its wisdom. I find the book of Genesis more and more fascinating the more I read it. But none of us was there in the beginning. However, I do not think it wise to pick and choose which Bible stories we believe and which we don't believe. I believe in Adam and Eve, in the great flood and in all the miraculous provision of the story of Moses leading the people of Israel though the desert. I also believe in the resurrection of Jesus. Miracles happen. 
But I don't think God ever intended to give us every detail - our brains are very small when it comes to understanding, But one thing I do know..... we are made different to other living creatures. We are more than our intelligence, we are spiritual beings with a soul and we are made for relationship with our creator. The eclipse of the sun was fun, yesterday, wasn't it? What a creation! What a creator!

No comments:

Post a Comment