Sunday 22 March 2015

Day 36 - Safe Place.

So what do we do when it all goes wrong? Usually we struggle through difficulties in life ...... minor illnesses or injuries, low on money, an argument or two, and we come out the other end a bit battered but still standing. But what do we do with suicidal depression, death, divorce, a child off the rails and on drugs, or a major illness?
Image result for father and baby
Before Jesus went to his death on the cross, a Roman form of torture and execution, he spent some time wrestling in prayer with his father in the Garden of Gethsemane. He said, "If it is possible, let this cup pass from me, but not my will but yours be done" There are two things which come to me as I ponder how it is that Jesus should find the strength to go through with this. The first is that he decided beforehand what he would do, and the second is his relationship with his father. 

So I challenge myself, should I ever have to endure much suffering in life - will I blame God and believe that He is not, after all, a God of love, or will I continue in my faith and not allow my heart to become bitter? I choose the second option because the first is unthinkable. It reminds me of something I once said to my husband, "If we ever break up, can I come and live with you?" The other option seemed unthinkable! 
My other thought is about relationship; Jesus' relationship with his father was stronger than any adversity he might have to face. We only have to look around us to see that God is good - surely the beauty in the world is too awesome to believe otherwise. So if He is good and He loves me, I can trust Him with even this.
He is my safe place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment