Tuesday 3 March 2015

Day 17 - As I Am.

I'm tired today. Almost seven hours riding in uncomfortable trucks last night has played havoc with my upper back muscles and I'm feeling pretty achy. Sometimes we just get days like this. We sit at our desk trying not to grunt at everyone or in front of a class thinking we want the ground to swallow us up. 

As I sit in God's presence today, I'm so grateful for the peace which enfolds me and I relax. This hymn floats into my consciousness: 'Just as I am', written in 1835 by Charlotte Elliot. The story goes that she was invited round for a meal by some friends and met a minister there who said he hoped she was a Christian. Although at the time she was offended by the comment, she spent the next three weeks thinking about it and trying to find out how to become one. She then met the minister again and asked him. He said, "Just come as you are". She did, and went on to write this lovely hymn which has touched the lives of millions of people over the years.



Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.


Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.



Just as I am, of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!


Sometimes we feel low. There are days when things perplex us and we wonder why
things happen as they do. These are the times to come just as we are. So here I am Lord, coming just as I am.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Shirley - it wasn't this hymn but another chorus very similar "Jesus take me as I am, I can come no other way, take me deeper into you, make my flesh life melt away", that caused me to experience God within and that night to become a Christian .....

    ReplyDelete