Friday 6 March 2015

Day 20 - Paradox

Here I am again. I think about the Bible readings I read this morning; the tune I'm rehearsing with the school orchestra floats through my consciousness; I pray for my family; I thank God for the good things in life; then I suddenly recall my rather strange dream that I had last night:


I am lying in the dentist's chair hearing the dentist saying some repetitive words and the next thing I know, I'm struggling to wake up, but feeling a great sense of well being all over me. Drowsy. When I come to, I realise my mouth feels all numb at one side. The dentist explains that he's been experimenting with hypnosis techniques and that he has given me a filling while I've been under. He's pleased with his wonderful new way of dealing with fear in his patients and on the face of it, it seems brilliant. Then I remember that I gave no consent for this procedure and I have no idea what else went on while I was under his influence. In my dream I am wearing my night clothes - always a sign of insecurity in dreams.

I start to think about where we're up to in the western world. It's kind of like we've been asleep and are just waking up to the dangers of militant Islam. There are some who say that the church has been asleep and many are still asleep. And there has been such an exposing of corruption in all spheres of life over recent years, our society is quite sick. I think about how such an amazingly strong civilisation such as Ancient Rome could fall because of corruption and I admit there is a high level of fear all around. 
Now I'm thinking about how even though King Ahasuerus agreed with Esther (in the bible story - read the book of Esther for more details), his earlier decree couldn't be revoked and the people of Israel had to fight for their freedom. Sometimes there are consequences for our actions which we just have to live through.

There are many voices of warning out there. What shall I say in my blog today, Lord? The thought that comes to me is that it is not wrong to rejoice. Yes, we can intercede before God for our nations and fight (not physical but spiritual warfare) for the truth, but I think our Father wants us to be without care and we can be hopelessly happy in a childlike way, trusting that He has it all under His control. On the face of it, it seems like a contradiction, but actually it's a paradox. As I come to the end of my time with God today, the sun comes out from behind the clouds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment